Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

Looking to see if there is a map update for my backup GPS

Customer Question

looking to see if there is a map update for my backup GPS StreetPilot 340C
JA: What's the make/model of your GPS unit? How old is it?
Customer: last map is 2013
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I was looking at
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: just seeing if there is an update. 2013 map does work
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, just is there an update, & if so how do I get it & install. Seems this is not supported by the Garmin Express App
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 27 days ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To answer your question directly, the current maps offered by Garmin are no longer compatible with the StreetPilot series of devices. The reason is that these devices are simple "too old" (technology wise) for all the details that have been added to the current maps.

I believe the maps you have (2013) are the last working versions for this series.

Sorry to be the "bearer of bad news" - if this is bad news - but please don't shoot the messenger.

As a matter of fact, this could be "good news" if you were looking for a reason to upgrade to a more modern device.

I say this because most of the modern devices come with "Lifetime Map" updates, and often cost about the same - or just a little more - than a full North America map update would cost.

As a reference only, I have a link to the search results (on Amazon) when I looked for "Nuvi LM" devices - so you can look at what's available and the expected street prices.

Nuvi LM Search

I hope this helps answer your question and leads you in the right direction for your needs.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
you are not telling me anything I didn't already know. I was not looking to buy a new GPS. This was a back up unit, as o may have mentioned. I am NOT satisfied with this answer. I am calling my credit card company to put this transaction in dispute.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
You really want me to rate this transaction?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 27 days ago.

Hi again,

You asked "just seeing if there is an update" and
"just is there an update, & if so how do I get it & install."

I did NOT see anything about this older unit being a "back up unit"

I believe I addressed those questions.

And any rating is intended for MY answer to those questions - accurately and relatively quickly, and not the fact that the answer may be interpreted as "bad news".

So if you do rate (you don't have to), please base your rating on MY service.

Also, you can further "manage" anything to do with your account by using the "My Account" link - on your side of the system.

Please let me know if you have any more questions about your device.

Take Care & Travel Safe, Greg A.