Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

I've installed Garmin Express on my Mac and updated the

Customer Question

I've installed Garmin Express on my Mac and updated the maps. Got a message that my maps had successfully updated but now my Nuvi will not open.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the device you are working with?

2) The AGE of the device?

3) HOW LONG did the update take and what happened at the VERY END of the process? For example, did you "Eject" the device from the computer - BEFORE physically removing it from the USB cable?

Please use the REPLY box below.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Model # is Nuvi 1490T
Purchased 2010
Update took less than two hours
At end I got a message saying my maps had successfully been updated
No. I didn't 'eject' it
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

OK - so when you removed the device from the computer, did it "reboot" at all?

And was the screen ON when disconnected from the USB cable?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When switching on, I get the Garmon page, the Garmin copyright page then black. It cycles round and round but never opens. The screen was not on when I unplugged it.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Does this "round & round" happen when NOT connected to power (or the computer)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. When not connected to power and computer it does nothing.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

OK - that's what I was worried about. It sounds like the device may have a VERY weak (or failing) internal battery, as that "looping" behavior is VERY common when a battery goes dead.

So has the battery in the device EVER been replaced - since new?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, it hasn't.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

OK - if that is the case, that suggest that this 6 year old battery is need of replacement. IF you have a "battery store" in your local area, they MAY have a replacement battery in stock - and can replace it for you. Also, other "well stocked" stores (that carry a LOT of Garmin GPS units) may have the batteries too.

But if neither of those are available, I have a link to Amazon where you CAN get a battery replacement kit (battery and tools) - if you want to replace the battery yourself. I also have a link to a video that has the steps to do the job - using the kit listed.

Battery Replacement Kit for Garmin Nuvi 1490LMT

Nuvi 1490LMT Battery Replacement Video

NOTE: Don't worry if your device is NOT an LMT model, the steps and battery are the same.

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Greg. What a shame. I nearly managed the update. I'll decide what to do next.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Very good.

By the way, I checked the Garmin repair page, and this device is no longer "repaired" by the Garmin facilities. BUT, if you are anywhere NEAR Kansas City, KS., they MAY be able to still replace the battery for you - at their walk-up repair window. I only mention this because they will usually NOT allow the device to be "shipped in and back" for such a process.

Please let me know what you decide - and the results - when you can.

And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you today.
You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Expert:  Greg A. replied 27 days ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-