Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My oregon 300 lost all its maps and waypoints and will not

Customer Question

my oregon 300 lost all its maps and waypoints and will not hook up to the computer
JA: What's the make/model of your GPS unit? How old is it?
Customer: garmin Oregon 300 3yrs
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The computer won't recognize it in the webupdater
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: it took a hard software crash a year ago and it took me about ten hours to get it to boot back up and i cannot remember what all steps i took to get it up and running
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: computer recognizes it in the the devices but the software updater does not..
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Since your data is already gone, lets try master resetting the device so we can get it working again.

This video will show you how. https://youtu.be/bmU6Z-mpYM8

Once complete, attempt to connect the Oregon 300 to your computer again, and then try to use the free garmin express program from this page to update the unit

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00697-01

If you can get it to reset and update.. Going forward, I recommend you connect the device to your computer and make a backup of its data through garmin express. That way if it crashes again, you wouldnt loose all your maps and waypoints.

If you get stuck or run into any issues completing these steps, let me know!

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have it backed up to basecamp but it will not talk to it now even after the reset
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

When you reset it, did it ask you to reset all user data?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it won't reset I've tried numerous times
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Ok, maybe it hasnt shut down all the way then.

Try pressing and holding the power for 45 seconds.

Then, hold the upper left hand corner of the touchscreen.. And while holding it, press the power normally to turn it on.. Keep holding the upper left hand corner.. Does it ever ask you to reset all use data or show a lightbulb on a very dim screen?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

( forget about basecamp for now)

Have you tried downloading and installing garmin express, and seeing if the garmin express program can recognize, and update the Oregon?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no i have not
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Allright, lets try that..

attempt to connect the Oregon 300 to your computer again, and then try to use the free garmin express program from this page to update the unit

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it says this disk is not readable by this computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

When and where does it say that?

Did you already download and install Garmin express?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sir
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

It sounds like the Garmin is critically damaged.. At this point, your only point would be to format it.. And then, hopefully get g armin express to recognize it so we can reinstall the software.

Question. To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or a Mac.

If its a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows, Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
mac and yes it lost all of its software a year ago and i got it back going but was a very long and frustrating process but the letters on home screen never looked right and the wall paper is pink
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
x 10.10.2 c
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

In that case, open disk utility..

Does the disk utility application see the garmin and show it listed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Allright, be warned.. These next steps even if they go correctly, can take time to get the device working again.

What we want to do is select the Oregon in disk utility, be certain you select the garmin.. Not your Mac HD or other drives.

Then, click partition, click erase, format it as MS dos Fat 32 ( windows )

Once complete.. Disconnect the device and reconnect it to your mac.. Now, run garmin express and see if it can detect the device and then update it. Let me know what happens, and if and where you get stuck.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
there is no fat32 only see EX FAT and (FAT)
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

choose fat.. not ex fat..

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Still not finding the unit
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Garmin express? How about the web updater?

Also, lets try to shut the device off and then hold the upper left of the screen and turn it on and see if we can reset it.

* Im assuming that the format completed already?*

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No it downloaded the garmin express installer... it just states it is unable to find device
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

lets try to shut the device off and then hold the upper left of the screen and turn it on and see if we can reset it.

Will the reset menu come up now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no tried several times.... something must be wrong with this unit
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there any way to continue this later on?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

We can continue later on.. Just send a reply on this same conversation page when you want to continue forward..

When you are ready to continue, Id suggest, downloading and installing the webupdater, and trying to see if it can see the oregon.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3699

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you very much
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Youre welcome, and I look forward to continuing with you when you have time.

D.S

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm back do you have time to help now
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is there a way to update from basecamp if it sees the device as untitled (F) in base camp but will not been seen by the web updater
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Today is the first day Ive signed into work since we last spoke.

If you have an SD card in your Oregon, lets take it out.

Then, lets try Garmin express again, and see if it can pick up the unit.. http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=6157

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When i plug it up to base camp it shows up as a storage device not as a unit.. and computer wont find it as a device