Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

I have a Garmin Zumo 550 that will not power up. zumo

Customer Question

I have a Garmin Zumo 550 that will not power up.
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: zumo ? 10 years old
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I deleted some contacts and put it in my storage bag. Whend I tried to put it on the bike, I wouldn't do anything
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I removed the battery and reinstalled it, then connected it to the power suply and tried the power + to give it a soft boot.
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GPS
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It seems warm.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) What is the AGE of the BATTERY with this device?

2) WHEN was the unit used successfully - for an EXTENDED period of time?

3) When you removed and reinstalled the battery, did you notice or clean any "dirt" from the battery contacts?

Please use the REPLY box below.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I last used it the other week. It stopped working when I put it in the cradle mounted on my motorcycle. I removed the battery and tried direct power and a USB cord from the computer. I've tried a soft boot with the power and "+" held down for 10 seconds. The battery is over 6 years old and I don't think a new one would do the trick since it will not power on with the power cord direct ?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

I suspect you are correct - about the battery being "old" (at 6 years) and needing to replace it. You can find these on Amazon for a decent cost (link below).

Zumo 550 replacement battery (search results)

NOTE: When connecting to a computer, MOST of these devices allow you to SLOWLY CHARGE the battery, but the device will usually go into "USB MODE" and not allow it to be operated normally. So an OLD battery would probably take several hours to charge what way - assuming the battery is capable of accepting ANY charge at all.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I ordered a new battery.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Very good.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.

You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-