Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

My Garmin 920xt forerunner was functioning perfectly on

Customer Question

My Garmin 920xt forerunner was functioning perfectly on Friday. I charged it completely, then turned it off. I traveled from New Orleans to Chicago with the Garmin in my purse. This morning, when I wanted to use it for a half marathon, the Garmin logo was on the face and I could not get it to work. I didn't have the USB cradle with me. I am trying to reset it or figure out what is wrong. Please advise. Thank you!
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 920XT Forerunner It is ~1 year old, maybe 11 months.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It worked fine on Friday morning. I thought it was completely charged and in the off position in my bag. There was no trauma or any force to the unit while in my purse. When i looked at it this morning, the Garmin Logo was on the face. IT is not being recognized by my laptop.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Tried a hard reset by turning it off , b holding the power button down for 15 seconds. I then held down the UP/Down buttons and released each one when I heard the beep.
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I think you have all of the details. I am asking to please help. I depend on my Garmin for training and workouts. I teach a class at 5am. thank you!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I am not sure that you can get it working by 5 am, if the Garmin is not recognized by your computer when connected to it after it is powered Off, and after you have loaded and started the Garmin Express program on the computer before connecting the turned-Off Garmin device.

So I suggest that you try that. And if Garmin Express can 'talk to' the device in this fashion, it may be able to overwrite a software corruption on the device, and get it working again. This is about all the chance you have of getting a Garmin device with this problem working again, at short notice.

It can of course be replaced, or sent to Garmin Repair, in the long run.

Tell me how it turns out, please. Thanks.