Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

My Garmin 920xt won't charge. It's now quite dead, so

Customer Question

My Garmin 920xt won't charge. It's now quite dead, so holding in the on button per some forum advice won't work. I have tried two different chargers, and had the same result, so it's defnitely the device, not the charger.
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: it's 920xt and i bought it 2 years ago from a friend, who had it for 6 months prior to that.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: nothing really. except that it's never really charged properly. I"ve always had to fiddle around with it to get it to charge. It's like the charge points don't operate properly or something like that.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: nothing, i don't know what to do
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems.

What you should do in this case is press the “mode” button” and the “enter” button at the same time. Then hit the power switch while keeping the other two engaged. Release power and continue pressing mode and enter for 10 seconds. Release and your Garmin should switch back on.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Please give that a shot and let me know how it works out.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

If those steps do not work, then it sounds like the battery in the Garmin has failed and requires replacement. This is a very hard to come by piece (Garmin does not sell the replacement batteries anywhere), and the only source that I can find that deals with replacing the battery is at the link below in the UK:

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think this response is pretty poor. I have told you the device is dead, i.e. fully discharged. Hence when i press the buttons you tell me to press, there is no response. surprising huh?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

So what type of assistance are you looking for here today then would be my question? I pointed out that IF that did not work then you ned to have the battery replaced- that would be the apparent issue with the unit.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

You didn't mention if you were looking to disassemble and repair the unit yourself, just posted a general question about the unit being dead and that you held the power button.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

So, within the realm of what I can do from this side of a computer, can you tell me what type of help you would like with your Garmin please?