GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience supporting electronics of all kinds

My new Garmin 1000 will not shut off. It has beeped on and

Customer Question

My new Garmin 1000 will not shut off. It has beeped on and off for the past 12 hours no matter what I try. I cannot use it because it will not stay on either. Every 2-4 seconds it flashes on and off. Brand new.
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Edges 1000. It is about one month old.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It erased all of my routes and data.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: All I can do is press and hold all three buttons. I let it run over night connected to its charger.
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Thanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Hi there. My name is***** see that you have been waiting for help for quite some time. I am sorry about that. I will do my best to help you.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

A master reset should be performed if the device is not functioning properly

ll settings, workouts and satellite data may be erased when resetting the GPS. Workouts can be backed up in Garmin Connect. If you wish to keep your personalized settings, you will need to backup your device.

To perform a master reset:

1. Power device off
  2. Press and hold Lap and Start/Stop
  3. Power device on while still holding both buttons
  4. Continue holding buttons when Garmin "splash" screen appears
  5. Release buttons when Garmin "splash" screen disappears

The reset is successful if, once powered up, the device proceeds into the initial setup wizard. Once the reset and setup wizard are complete, place the device outside with a clear view of the sky for a minimum of 20 minutes to acquire satellite data.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! Without a positive rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.