GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience supporting electronics of all kinds
76665483

My Nuvi won't find addresses while we are on vacation in

Customer Question

My Nuvi won't find addresses while we are on vacation in Quebec. Stuck in Illinois?
Category: GPS
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

Hi Debra. My name is*****'m sorry that you are having this problem, especially while you are on vacation. I will do my best to help. Does it look as though the Nuvi might be "frozen"? If so, we can try a "soft reset" where you won't lose data.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Don't care about data....have tried restoring to original settings as well
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I start with where I am now....which is Ottawa Ontario...all that comes up is smaller towns close to where we live?? in Thunder Bay Ontario, on the other side of this very large province
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

Can you tell me please exactly what model your Nuvi is?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think it is a 265 How can I confirm this?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nuvi 50 Software version 4.00
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It shows under detailed maps 2016 Garmin
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

Thank you. Let's try the master reset:

To perform a master reset on a nuvi 30, 40, 50, 52, and 54 series devices:

1. Start with the device OFF and unplugged from power
    • To verify the device is powered off and not in standby mode, press and hold down the power button until prompted to turn off the device
  2. Press and hold the lower right hand corner of the display portion of the touchscreen
  3. Power on the device while continuing to hold the display
  4. Remove your finger from the touchscreen when "Erase all user data?" appears
  5. Touch Yes
    • If text language is not in English, this is the button on the right

The device will now reset. Follow the on-screen prompts and then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

1Although the master reset will erase all saved favorites, any loaded custom points of interest will remain intact on the device.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! Without a rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Received a "erase all data" pressed yes....now it has Garmin in middle with a text-like box showing a computer plugged into something
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's in a window where satellites should be able to access....but nothing has changed in ten minutes
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

Do you by any chance have a computer with you that you can connect the Garmin Nuvi to? Can you try moving it to a different location?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have laptop that i'm communicating with you now.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is connected to the laptop now
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It doesn't have enough battery power on it's own to work...so either have to connect to PC or to the DC power in vehicle
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

I understand. What operating system do you have on the laptop?

If you're not sure, please click this link and tell me what you see:

http://whatsmyos.com/

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Windows 7 professional
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** device show up when it is connected to the laptop?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can go under devices and find it.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

Thank you. Please give me just a moment to see if there are any firmware updates for the device.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

It appears that you have the latest update since you have 4.0. Do you have the garmin Express software install on your laptop?

Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

I am attaching a link to the user manual for this device.

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/nuvi_30_40_50_EN_OM.pdf

It is possible that you may need to re-register the device after having set it to factory defaults. You can do this using the Garmin Express software on your laptop. If you don't have it installed, you can download it here.

http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html

I can't help but wonder if the battery issue is not contributing to the issues that you are having. It is possible that it just needs to charge a bit more and be left where it can pick up the satellites and it may then begin to work correctly. Please keep me posted as to your progress