Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I'm trying to download an updated maps on my Garmin Nivi

Customer Question

I'm trying to download an updated maps on my Garmin Nivi 265w and it's asking me for a product key number and I can't find it anywhere
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 2008 where do I find the model
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: everything
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or a Mac.

If its a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows, Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Also, have you already purchased a map update from Garmin for this device? If so, when did you purchase it?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Windows 7 no I did not purchase map update
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

My apologies for the delay, by the time you responded I was off shift.

Most likely, you will have to purchase a map update. Considering thats an older model, it doesnt have the internal storage to hold the entire map internally, since 2008 the maps have grown and become more detailed. Your best bet, is going to purchase an SD card with the newest map pre loaded on the card.

You can purchase the sd card directly from garmin here. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/discontinued/nuvi-265wt/maps/on-the-road-maps/city-navigator-nt/city-navigator-north-america-nt/prod1456_010-D0743-00.html

Make sure you choose SD card instead of download. Once purchase and you have received it. Turn your Nuvi off, insert the SD card. Turn the Nuvi on.

And then, go to settings, maps, map info, and select the new map. ( City Navigator North America)

That will load the map. If you have any further questions, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

Hello again, I never heard back from you after you read my reply. Did you need further help with this issue?

Please respond so we can continue working on this issue or click and submit a 5 star rating so we can mark this issue as closed / resolved.

Thank you,

Dustin S