Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows. I'm sorry that you're having this issue. It would be my pleasure to help you resolve this. Sometimes this can be the result of a software glitch on the device. Let's start our troubleshooting by trying this:
USB communication issues can prevent Garmin Windows applications from communicating with Garmin devices.
If a Garmin mass storage or MTP device is not detected by a Garmin Windows application, check to make sure that that the device recognizes the USB connection. Most devices will display an icon on the screen indicating that the device is communicating with the computer.
When a device is properly connected to a Windows computer, it will be displayed as a removable disk or portable device. To check whether Windows recognizes the connection:
- Connect the Garmin device to the computer
- Click the Start menu*
- Click File Explorer, Computer, or My Computer
- Click This PC (Windows 10 only)
*For Windows 8, press the Windows key + X and choose File Explorer
Mass storage and MTP devices are both listed under Devices and drives in Windows 10. In older version of Windows, mass storage devices will be listed under Devices with Removable Storage while MTP devices can be found under Portable Devices.
If the Garmin device does not display the connection screen or is not recognized by Windows, try the following steps:
- Try a different USB cable
- Try a Garmin branded cable if available
- If a new cable must be purchased, ensure that the cable is a USB data cable and not a USB charging cable as these will only charge the device
- Ensure that the USB port is working properly
- Try a different USB port on the computer and/or test the USB port with a different USB device
- Avoid connecting through a USB hub, USB extension cable, keyboard, or monitor
- On desktop computers, use the USB ports on the back of the computer
- Connect the USB cable directly to the Garmin device and not the mount (the ports on the mount are for charging only)
- Disconnect all other USB devices from the computer other than the keyboard and mouse
- Ensure that the battery on the Garmin device is fully charged
- Restart the computer and reconnect the device