GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience supporting electronics of all kinds

I have a Nuvi 50 LM. When I plug it into my computer to

Customer Question

I have a Nuvi 50 LM. When I plug it into my computer to update, the computer does not recognize the GPS. I didn't have this problem when I updated my Nuvi 50 a short time before.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Hi there Robbie. My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this trouble. I'll do my best to help.

USB communication issues can prevent Garmin Windows applications from communicating with Garmin devices.

If a Garmin mass storage or MTP device is not detected by a Garmin Windows application, check to make sure that that the device recognizes the USB connection. Most devices will display an icon on the screen indicating that the device is communicating with the computer.

When a device is properly connected to a Windows computer, it will be displayed as a removable disk or portable device. To check whether Windows recognizes the connection:

1. Connect the Garmin device to the computer
  2. Click the Start menu*
  3. Click File Explorer, Computer, or My Computer
  4. Click This PC (Windows 10 only)

*For Windows 8, press the Windows key + X and choose File Explorer

Mass storage and MTP devices are both listed under Devices and drives in Windows 10. In older version of Windows, mass storage devices will be listed under Devices with Removable Storage while MTP devices can be found under Portable Devices.

If the Garmin device does not display the connection screen or is not recognized by Windows, try the following steps:

• Try a different USB cable
    • Try a Garmin branded cable if available
    • If a new cable must be purchased, ensure that the cable is a USB data cable and not a USB charging cable as these will only charge the device
  • Ensure that the USB port is working properly
    • Try a different USB port on the computer and/or test the USB port with a different USB device
    • Avoid connecting through a USB hub, USB extension cable, keyboard, or monitor
    • On desktop computers, use the USB ports on the back of the computer
    • Connect the USB cable directly to the Garmin device and not the mount (the ports on the mount are for charging only)
  • Disconnect all other USB devices from the computer other than the keyboard and mouse
  • Ensure that the battery on the Garmin device is fully charged
  • Restart the computer and reconnect the device

If the Garmin device is recognized by the computer but the Garmin application will not detect the device:

• Ensure that the latest version of software is installed on the Garmin device.
    • Software can be updated via Garmin WebUpdater or Garmin Express. If the device is not being detected by either of these applications continue with other troubleshooting steps before contacting Product Support.
  • Ensure that the Garmin application is current
    • Most Garmin applications will automatically check for the latest version and prompt when an update is available
    • The latest applications can also be manually downloaded from the Garmin website

The Garmin device should now be communicating properly with the Garmin application.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! Without a rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.