GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience supporting electronics of all kinds
76665483

I have a garmin zumo 590 lmt and turned it off and within 5

Customer Question

I have a garmin zumo 590 lmt and turned it off and within 5 minute tried to turn it on but it will not turn on.
It was working normally prior.
I plugged in into my computer and it says its not connected??
Any idea what it could be?
Category: GPS
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.

Hi Scott. My name is***** am sorry that you are having this problem. I'll do my best to help. Sometimes this can be caused by a software glitch. If this is the case, then following steps should help:

Note: A master reset will erase all favorites and will restore your device to the default factory settings.

To perform a master reset on a nuvi 2407, 2408, 2507, 2508, 2707, 2708 series, Camper/RV 760, and zumo 590:

1. Start with the device off and unplugged from power
    • To verify the device is powered off and not in standby mode, touch and hold down the power button until prompted to turn off the device
  2. Touch and hold the lower right hand corner of the display portion of the touchscreen
  3. Power the device on
  4. "System" will appear on the screen for approximately 30 seconds
  5. Remove your finger when the screen displays Loading..."

Another option to perform a master reset for these devices:

1. Touch View Map
  2. Touch the Speed icon
  3. Touch and hold the speedometer for approximately 5 seconds
  4. Release your touch when the Diagnostics Page displays
  5. Touch Clear all user data
  6. Touch Yes when prompted to "Erase all user data?"

The device will automatically reset. Follow the on screen prompts to set your locale and then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! Without a rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.
If this doesn't do the trick our next step will be to try charging it for a bit and then trying once more to turn it on.There are three ways to charge the internal battery in your automotive GPS device.1.Use the provided vehicle power cable that came with your GPS device. The device will charge while powered-on and using the device, as well as when the GPS device is powered off and plugged into a running vehicle.2.Use an AC power adapter. Some devices come with this power cable to plug the GPS device into a wall outlet allowing the GPS device to take a charge. 3.For most devices, the final way of charging the battery is to plug the GPS into a powered-on computer with a USB cable. Note: Note: The Quest, Quest 2, and nuviCamLMTHD will not charge using a USB cable. This method of charging will be a trickle charge and it may take longer than the other two options, however it will still charge the battery. A full charge via USB may take as long as 8-12 hours. A USB cable is provided with certain GPS models.For devices that do not come with this cable, one can be purchased from Garmin's online store.NOTES: All devices will come with a suction cup mount and vehicle power cable to charge the device. However, only some models come with an AC power cable and/or a USB cable. If either cable did not come with the device, they can be purchased from Garmin or Garmin's dealers. To purchase one from Garmin, please visit the Garmin website at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/Garmin only recommends using an AC power charger that is purchased from Garmin. Third-party cables may not charge the nuvi. The message "Attached power cable cannot charge device. Please use the cable provided with your device" may display on the device if using a third-party charger or third-party USB adapter, etc.Please note that temperature can play an effect on the charging of a device. If the battery registers a temperature of 0°C (32°F) and below or 45°C (113°F) and above, it will not charge. When connected to external power, it will only be operating off of external power.