Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

My nuvi 255 will stop showing where to and go into the

Customer Question

My nuvi 255 will stop showing where to and go into the connect to comuter mode randomly. Ten goes dark. Can't depend on it. Seems to work on internal battery till you need to connect external power. Useless now. Connected to my computwer many tmes with no change.
JA: What model of Nuvi are you using? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: mode 2555
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Reloaded maps several times. Still calls for me to reload maps
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I will be very happy to get my machine working as I do not want to buy another now.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

We need to reset the unit, and then update its firmware. heres how to do that.

First, the reset process

And then, to update the firmware go to this link

Download and install the newest version of Garmin express, and then once installed. Run garmin express and install any and all updates it shows for the nuvi 255. Once complete, test the unit. Is it working any better?

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.