Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

Thank you. We just bought an eTrex 10. My husband will be

Customer Question

Thank you. We just bought an eTrex 10. My husband will be using it to measure in meters a cross-country course for the equestrian sport of eventing. His old Garmin died and no longer works. I have been trying to use the "tracks" prog and cannot understand what else to do. I only need to measure distances in meters -
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: eTrex 10
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none - contacting you...
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: That's it - Thx
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I am reading your question - and reviewing the info about the eTrex 10. I will post again in a few minutes...

The eTrex of course measures distances. But it is not a range-finder, so much as a GPS doubling as an elapsed-distance metering device. In other words, you measure distance with it by setting it, then by traversing that distance (however much distance it turns out to be), and then at the end you have a measurement of it. E.g. for hiking, it can track the trail you follow... and its length, no matter how winding a path it is.

Where you asked:

only need to measure distances in meters from point A to Z. I have tried several times using the quick start manual and followed the instructions for "Tracks". After typing "done" for the parameters that I want nothing happens.

the reason nothing happened is, that the eTrex was not moved anywhere. To take it for a short walk (through a few rooms, or across your yard) after setting it, would truly test it.

Does this begin to answer your question? let me know, please. Use the Reply To Expert function to let me know. Thanks.