Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

My Golf Buddy Platinum purchased November 2012 didn't work

Customer Question

Hi - my Golf Buddy Platinum purchased November 2012 didn't work this morning. It turns on; however, the screen has big black blob with spiderweb-like (Christmas tree-like) extensions coming from the black blob. Please help - thanks.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: It's not a TV, it's a Golf Buddy Platinum and no, I've not had problems turning in on in the past.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing. Just turning it on and off.
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

An emergency reboot and firmware update will fix your device.

•First Make sure that the unit is fully charged.
•Please note that all user information will be lost, not the Scores and other "DATA".
•Turn off the unit completely.
•Press and hold the “Menu” button.
•While Holding the “Menu” button press and hold the “Power” button until the screen lights up.
•Release the “Power” button but keep holding down the “Menu” button.
•Once you see “emergency reboot 1/3” on the screen, release the “Menu” button.
•Set aside the unit for approximately 5 minutes and the unit will reset the factory setting.

Another way to do this Emergency reboot, is the following:
•Have the unit turned off.
•Hold the menu button.
•And while holding down on the menu button, plug the unit into a computer or a power outlet using the data cable.
•It should light up and indicate the emergency booting.
•Then release the menu button.

After this procedure, please update the firmware on your unit. This will improve the correct performing of the unit. You can update the firmware using the GolfBuddy World Course Manager.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Hello again, I never heard back from you after you viewed my reply. Did you still need help with this issue?

Please respond when you can so we can either work through this issue or mark it as resolved, thank you.

Dustin S