Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I recently attempted and paid for a map update. i think i

Customer Question

i recently attempted and paid for a map update. i think i received the update but my device keeps turning off i have a device for my car
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: 2 weeks now
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: dont know how to trouble shoot
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: thats all thanks
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the Garmin (or other?) device keeps turning Off, how soon after being turned On does that happen?

And how is the Garmin (or other brand of ?) device powered? on battery, or on AC Adapter, or on car adapter?

And does any message on its screen appear before it powers Off?

Please let me know, using the Reply To Expert function, and I will advise you as to what to do.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Garmin shuts off shortly after being turned on and I'm using a car adapter. The screen shows a picture of the device connected to computer

Then this is what you need to do, on your computer, with the Garmin device:

Simply download, install, and use Garmin Express.

Go to

http://software.garmin.com/en-GB/express.html

and (if you have a Windows PC) click on the big blue Download button at center bottom of the page. (If you have an Apple, click on the nearby Download for Mac link.) And download Garmin Express' installer to your computer, save it, then double-click upon it to install Garmin Express.

Then start the program, Garmin Express. Then connect your Garmin device. Then use Garmin Express to update your device.

Let me know how that goes. Or if you have any difficulty with the process, ask me for guidance through it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did all of the above. Problem still exists. I'm not paying again for an update

I don't think you should pay again for an update. (Nor have I asked you to.)

Does it behave any differently, when you unplug the car adapter, and then turn it On? please try this. And then let me know how it acts, that way.