Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

My computer doesn't recognize my garmin 50LM, NUVI 50 LM and

Customer Question

my computer doesn't recognize my garmin 50LM
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: NUVI 50 LM and it is approximately 4 years old
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have uninstalled Garmin Express and re-installed, I have turned off the garmin and turned back on, I have changed USB ports
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: nope
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) When was the device last used SUCCESSFULLY?

2) What type of computer system do you have (windows, mac, etc.)?

3) what happens ON THE DEVICE SCREEN - when it is connected to the computer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1) two years ago
2) windows 8.1
3) nothing happens but it does charge
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - may I ask for HOW LONG the device has been connected - and allowed to charge up (after the 2 years of non-use)?

AND - does the device power up - once disconnected from the computer connection? If so, how long does it stay on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1) the device is not continously connected to the computer. Only as I was trying to update the Garmin. And information was only provided for amplification. The Garmin has not been idle for 2 years. It hasn't been updated for 2 years.2) yes the Garmin will power up.The Garmin is defective. Thanks for the assist.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

OK - I think there was a little misunderstanding - of my questions and your responses. So let me rephrase.

1) What is the current operational status of the device? That is, does it still operate properly - with the current maps installed - and when connected to a vehicle power adapter?

2) When connecting to the computer, are you using the ORIGINAL USB cable that came with the device? And if so, has this USB cable EVER been used in the past, to SUCCESSFULLY connect to the current computer that is being used?

I only ask because there could be a few different issues - when it comes to successfully connecting to a computer.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-