GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience supporting electronics of all kinds

I have a garmin nuvi, I am having a problem with getting

Customer Question

I have a garmin nuvi, I am having a problem with getting with planning a trip. When I get to SPELL STATE, I try to type Montana, but It will only take 2 letters, then it say NO Matches found. I tried it with some other states, and it does the same. Could you please help me. Thanks, ***** *****
Category: GPS
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Hi Jim. My name is***** am sorry that you are having this problem. It would be my pleasure to assist you. Your Garmin Nuvi may only accept the official 2 letter abbreviation for the states. Montana would be MT. Please try that and let me know the results. If that does not resolve the problem, please let me know the model number of your Nuvi.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Here is a link to the official two letter abbreviations of the states:

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! Without a rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The model number is ***** 350 na. Yes, i tried MT for Montana, but it doesn't work. I worked ok when i used it earlier. Thanks
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

You're welcome. Since that didn't work, we may want to do a factory reset on the device. The problem may due to a software glitch and a factory reset will fix most software issues.

Note: A master reset will erase all favorites1 and will restore your device to the default factory settings. If you would like to back up your favorites to your computer, you can find instructions to do so here.

To perform a master reset on a nuvi 300 series device:

1. Start with the device OFF and unplugged from the power source
  2. Touch and hold the top right corner of the touchscreen2
  3. Power the device ON while continuing to hold the touchscreen
  4. The message "Do you really want to erase all user data?" will appear
  5. Remove your finger from the touchscreen when this message displays
  6. Touch Yes
    • If text language is not in English, this is the button on the right

After the nuvi resets, follow the on-screen prompts, and then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

Note: A master reset will erase all saved favorites

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Please try that and let me know the results.

Here is a link to the user manual for your Garmin Nuvi 350. It may be helpful to you in the future. It is in pdf format and can be saved to your computer for later viewing, or printed out.

If your Garmin Nuvi still does not work correctly after the factory reset, please let me know so I can check for possible updates to the firmware or the software. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Do you have the Garmin Express software installed on your computer? If not, please download an dinstall it form thsi link:

After it has been installed and you have rebooted your computer, please connect your Garmin Nuvi to your computer and follow the onscreen instructions to update the software. Please let me know the results.