Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have a nuvi 55 gps which keeps turning on/off and will not

Customer Question

hi i have a nuvi 55 gps which keeps turning on/off and will not connect to computer either cheers raye
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I'm sorry to hear about the device's failure.

When connecting it to the computer, try different USB ports on the computer.

Also try removing the battery altogether, and leaving the device to reset for at least overnight.

Let me know whether either of these approaches work at all, in fixing the problem. Also let me know (using Reply To Expert) how old the Nuvi device in question is, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
aprox 12 months old Do i have to unscrew the back to remove battery
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it also has same fault in car charger
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
changing usb port does not help

If the Nuvi is *less* than 12 months from original purchase date, do *not* unscrew the back nor remove the battery. Reporting it at once to Garmin Australia as defective (or taking it to a nearby Garmin repair center to your location in Australia, before 1 year is out from its purchase), will get you warranty repair for free for your defective Garmin.

If it is more than 12 months (over 1 year, and thus, the warranty expired), there's no harm in removing the back or the screws.

This is a vital point. Please tell me which is the fact of the case, and I will advise you in more detail.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i cant find reciept so ithink it is over 12 months

That is unfortunate.

Then you may as well remove the screws and locate the battery (likely to be square with two wires coming off it, a red and a black wire, both wires going to a plug.)

Pull the plug, to detach it from the device. That's all you have to do, no need to take out the battery itself, just to pull its connections.

Leave it like that, as I said, at least 6 hours or overnight, before trying it again.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Russell i will try that and get back too you Cheers Raye

Let me know how things turn out with the Nuvi, Raye. Thanks.