Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I purchased a Magellan RM9416T to go on a trip. After about

Customer Question

I purchased a Magellan RM9416T to go on a trip. After about one hour the unit would go black and I had to unplug it and plug it in again and it would work fine for about one hour . This problem presented it self for the diration of my trip. Why was this happening.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Most likely, the internal software is slightly corrupted, and it needs to be reloaded. So I can help you do that please answer the following questions

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or a Mac.

If its a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows, Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Thank you,

Dustin S

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Windows 7
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sorry
Thank You
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Excellent.. Ok, heres how to fix the issue.

Connect the magellan to your windows 7 computer, t urn the magellan on. Then, go to this website http://www.magellangps.com/contentmanager

And click start here at the bottom of that page.. That should start the smartgpseco program page. .And on that page you will be able to download and install the software updates for your device.

Once they are fully installed. Disconnect the magellan.. Then slide and hold the power button for 30 seconds. That will finalize the update and the device should be working normally.

If you get stuck or run into any issues, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
all that comes up is to purchase a PhantomAlert Premium
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
any ideas
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

When you had the GPS connected and went to the smartgpseco site.. Did it show that your roadmate was connected?

Did it name the roadmate on the page itself?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Allright, if it didnt let you update the maps or software. Then we at least need to try the reset mentioned, by sliding and holding the power button for 30 seconds straight.

Also, when did you purchase this unit?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
two weeks ago
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Hmm. If you have had the device only two weeks and its already failing in this manner. Then my advice is to return it. The Roadmate is usually a very solid unit. The one you have is certainly defective. And since its only two weeks old the retailer should let you exchange it. If they wont, magellan will definitely replace it for you.

let me know if you need magellans warranty contact info.

Dustin S