Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

I have a 2016 Garmin 7610 GPS combo unit. Was out last

Customer Question

I have a 2016 Garmin 7610 GPS combo unit. Was out last evening (Sunday) and came home at dusk. The Garmin performed perfectly in the daylight, but on the way home, it faded first to dark and then to black. The only difference was that I had the Nav lights on. I would restart it, and it would boot up and then go black again. It was a little scary since I was in a storm in, the dark and needed both the chartplotter and radar. When I got back to the dock and shut everything else off, I could restart the unit and it ran just fine. Seems like there is a power drain going on somewhere, but I have no idea really what I am talking about. Have you seen anything like this?
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: GPSMAP 7610xsv. Brand new--2016
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing yet, besides holding the power button down, then restarting it
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: nope
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Many times this is a sign that your software firmware needs to be reset or refreshed. Your best bet here is to update the internal software, as that usually cures issues like this.

To do so, go to this page and download the update

Then, follow these steps to install the update.

1. Click on 'Download' and choose to save the file to your computer.
  2. Choose a location where you can easily find the file, such as the 'My Documents' folder or 'C:\'.
  3. Once the download is complete, go to the location where you saved the file.
  4. Double-click on the downloaded file. This will automatically extract the files to C:\Garmin and run a program to transfer the software update to an SD card.
  5. Power on the device and make sure all attached network devices are powered on as well.
  6. Insert the card into the card slot of your primary device. Select 'Update Software' in the window that automatically displays. If you do not have a primary device with a card slot, please see your dealer.
  7. After the update completes, all Garmin Marine Network devices and NMEA 2000 sensors will have the latest software. This ensures all of the devices will be able to communicate with each other. Note: If you have additional chartplotters connected to NMEA 2000 and not the Garmin Marine Network, you will have to independently update each chartplotter. After the update of the Garmin Marine Network completes, insert the update card into each NMEA 2000 chartplotter.

Then, To be safe I would take your vessel out in clear weather and try navigating for a bit.. If it works afterwords without issues, then we know we have solved the issue.

Other wise, you may want to check all your cables, power cables, network cables, everything, for any corrosion at all in the connectors or any damage to the cables themselves. And if you find any corrosion or damage, replace the cables. If you need a reliable and low cost supplier to replace any specific cable, let me know.

If you have further questions, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.