Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.
Many times this is a sign that your software firmware needs to be reset or refreshed. Your best bet here is to update the internal software, as that usually cures issues like this.
To do so, go to this page and download the update
Then, follow these steps to install the update.
- Click on 'Download' and choose to save the file to your computer.
- Choose a location where you can easily find the file, such as the 'My Documents' folder or 'C:\'.
- Once the download is complete, go to the location where you saved the file.
- Double-click on the downloaded file. This will automatically extract the files to C:\Garmin and run a program to transfer the software update to an SD card.
- Power on the device and make sure all attached network devices are powered on as well.
- Insert the card into the card slot of your primary device. Select 'Update Software' in the window that automatically displays. If you do not have a primary device with a card slot, please see your dealer.
- After the update completes, all Garmin Marine Network devices and NMEA 2000 sensors will have the latest software. This ensures all of the devices will be able to communicate with each other. Note: If you have additional chartplotters connected to NMEA 2000 and not the Garmin Marine Network, you will have to independently update each chartplotter. After the update of the Garmin Marine Network completes, insert the update card into each NMEA 2000 chartplotter.
Then, To be safe I would take your vessel out in clear weather and try navigating for a bit.. If it works afterwords without issues, then we know we have solved the issue.
Other wise, you may want to check all your cables, power cables, network cables, everything, for any corrosion at all in the connectors or any damage to the cables themselves. And if you find any corrosion or damage, replace the cables. If you need a reliable and low cost supplier to replace any specific cable, let me know.
If you have further questions, let me know.
I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.
Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.