Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.

Why is there a difference in the route time calculation

Customer Question

Why is there a difference in the route time calculation between Basecamp and when I see the route on my device?
I put in a 6am start time to the first location (which shows on both basecamp and on my Nuvi) & build a route to finish at 9:30pm that evening, on BaseCamp. When I load the route to my Nuvi, and then open it on my Nuvi, it shows that I will finish 2 hours earlier at 7:30pm.
Its a HUGE difference!
Category: GPS
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi Rich,

This is to do with how the miles are computed, i.e. road miles versus "bird miles".

The best solution for more accurate long-distance trips is to cut the trip into a series of short trips.

You could also try using Google Maps to calculate an accurate journey time.

Kindly rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page if my answer helped so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The miles show the same though. I really have to be accurate. I'm riding in a 32 hour rally next weekend (scavenger hunt). It makes no sense to me that the route shows one time in Basecamp, but when transferred to the gps unit, it's changes.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

The Nuvi will recalculate the route using its own computations - it can vary if you have it set for shortest distance, fastest distance, avoid toll roads, etc.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's really the question I'm trying to get an answer to. How can I make the settings on the gps match those calculations on the basecamp, and have a reliable time.
The problem which I have is that in a scavenger hunt, I'm building a route that must be exact; I need to spend the day scoring points, and return to the hotel by 9:30pm. If I get back hours early, I'll be sitting around in my room while others score points, and if I get back after 10pm I will be disqualified.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Usually the GPS device will calculate the more accurate journey time, as it is designed to take into account things such as the time of day (rush hour), etc.

You could try tweaking some of the settings on it, although I suspect you should already have it set up pretty well for your journeys so don't change too many settings.

You should try calculating the journey time using Google Maps or other online journey calculators to see which result it is closer to.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi, just checking in on your question, do you need any further assistance?