Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

I purchased a new Garmin 7610at the end of last season and

Customer Question

I purchased a new Garmin 7610at the end of last season and installed it under an aluminum hardtop.
the GPS worked intermittingly. The advice of a Garmin tech was to install an external. The numbers matched my Northstar GPS to the hundredth place but now it is failing again. It places my vessel in the middle of the bay or ocean anddoes not come back to proper position even after a reboot. What's up? and how can I correct.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think the pattern indicates, fairly clearly, that your Garmin 7610 has a problem in its tuner circuitry, perhaps. The problem first showed up with the built-in antenna, but now has affected the external antenna also.

One thing that might make even a replacement fail also, would be poorly regulated supplied voltage to the Garmin unit. That may be consideration for the future.

But, given that the Garmin unit is probably where the problem is, by now if not necessarily originally... then if it is still less than a year old, sending it to Garmin before the 1-year warranty expires, for free covered-by-warranty repairs, might be the best thing to do.

What do you think? let me know, by using the Reply To Expert function, please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was trying to avoid sending the unit back to the company. I have been told to do that but since the GPS has radar I would be left without radar. I use the unit a lot in the dark and the foggy conditions around Long Island, NY. Any other suggestions?

Honestly, I am not sure that I have other suggestions. Aside from, perhaps, doing a factory reset of the Garmin device in question, to see if it helps. Would you like to try that?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
A factory reset was done by a tech on site, but it didn't help. I will most likely send it back at the end of the season.

Very well. Are you ready to end this question/session, or would you like a chance at another Expert's opinion on the problem?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Very well. Would you think my efforts and analysis worth rating?