Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

Trying to update my garmin nuvi 1490, nuvi 1490 ser

Customer Question

trying to update my garmin nuvi 1490
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: nuvi 1490 ser #172500416
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: have followed instructions from garmin: install garmin express; run it: asks for application
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help with this issue, may I ask:

1) WHERE did you download and install the Garmin Express program from?

2) What type of computer (Windows, Mac, etc.) are you trying to run Garmin Express on?

3) When you mentioned "asks for application", when and where are you seeing that message?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
download from "garmin.com" with MAC
when I tried to run program
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

OK - it sounds like the download MAY have been corrupted and needs to be downloaded again.

If you can, please try to go to the following direct link, and make sure you click on the "Download for Mac" link.

http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html

That SHOULD download the "installer" program for the Mac.

Also, make sure you click the "System Requirements" to see if all of those requirements are met on your computer.

Please let me know if that works for you, and allows the program to install properly.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did not work:
System requirements met (v10.10)
Downloaded garmin express; double clicked;
Came up with ;This package will run program to determine if the software can be installed
Then guided me through Lic Agreement
Installed
Window comes back with: Garmin Express must be closed; Press "Close Application and Install" Pressed Choose and same window comes back
and it came back with "Choose Application"
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

OK - it sounds like something is running on the computer that is not allowing the program to be installed.

Do you have some firewall or anti-virus tools running on that machine?

OR - do you have a different computer (Mac or PC) that can be used to update your device?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have no firewall or anti-virus on my Mac. The only computer that I have access to
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Sorry for any delay.

Without another computer to TEST with, we really don't know if this is a computer problem or a download problem.

But I will tell you that I have seen a few other client here (today) that have reported some kind of problem getting or using Garmin Express. That COULD be an indication that the downloads AT the Garmin servers are having a problem.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)