Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

I have a Garmin 7610 with a built in chip. Once I got west

Customer Question

I have a Garmin 7610 with a built in chip. Once I got west of Falkner Island on Long Island Sound all the detail in my chart became unavailable.
I thought I needed to buy another chip covering Western Long Island Sound and other points West. The salesman at West Marine said that my GPS is supposed to have charts covering the "World," and if not the world at least the United States.
What should I do?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That problem sounds like it was very alarming for you to encounter. I hope I can provide advice that will help with it.

In a Garmin device, when a portion of a map that is supposed to be there, becomes unavailable when you cross into some sub-area, then either

1. the map file has become corrupted, or

2. the operating software of the Garmin device has become corrupted, perhaps.

So repairs to either the map file, or the Garmin device's operating software, would probably fix the problem.

Try connecting the Garmin device in question, to a computer that is already running Garmin Express and has an internet connection 'live' at the time. Update the device with the Garmin Express software, and it might be fixed, perhaps.

To simply download, install, and use Garmin Express, go to

and (if you have a Windows PC) click on the big blue Download button at center bottom of the page. (If you have an Apple, click on the nearby Download for Mac link.)

And download Garmin Express' installer to your computer, save it, then double-click upon it to install Garmin Express.

Then start the program, Garmin Express. Then connect your Garmin device. Then use Garmin Express to update your device.

Let me know, by the Reply To Expert function, how this process goes, please. Thanks.