Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

My nuvi1370 is frozen at startup. if you are unable to solve

Customer Question

my nuvi1370 is frozen at startup. if you are unable to solve my problem do you still charge for your service
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: since July, while we were in France
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've held the startup button for 3 minutes, then tried pressing the bottom right corner while turning it on, but all I am getting is the 'GARMIN' logo with the blue diamond. The unit is not responding at all
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Nuvi1370, purchased 2009. do you charge a fee if unable to resolve my problem?
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: is there a charge if you cannot fix this?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the GPS Technician. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: OK, connect me, thank you
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

(If unable to answer the question satisfactorily to you, no charge is made, as far as I know. But as an Expert at JustAnswer I am not responsible for charges, billing, etc.)

Do you have a computer to work on your Garmin with? that may be needed.

And, is it a Windows computer, or an Apple computer, please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have PC with Windows 10. I also Have the original Garmin USB cable
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We were on vacation in France just this past July. The unit was working perfectly for a week, then one morning simply froze as I tried to turn it on. It does not get past the Garmin logo screen

I understand, and it's a shame when devices won't work, suddenly, in this fashion.

I would advise you to download and install Garmin Express software onto your computer.

Then connect the Garmin Nuvi to the computer.

Then run Garmin Express, and update the Garmin device.

This may fix the Nuvi device's problem, if it is simply a matter of corrupted internal software on it.

When dealing with an update for your Garmin device, it is best to simply download, install, and use Garmin Express.

Go to

and (if you have a Windows PC) click on the big blue Download button at center bottom of the page. (If you have an Apple, click on the nearby Download for Mac link.) And download Garmin Express' installer to your computer, save it, then double-click upon it to install Garmin Express.

Then start the program, Garmin Express. Then connect your Garmin device. Then use Garmin Express to update your device.

Let me know how that goes, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I already tried that. The unit is not being recognized by my PC

Then it is probably 'broken', I'm sorry to say.

One thing to try: removing the battery for a long period (overnight, for instance.)

Then putting the battery back in the device, and trying it again.

It's the one thing left to try, aside from deciding whether to have it repaired by Garmin, or replacing it. (I can tell you how much the repair by Garmin will cost you, since it is out of warranty.)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I remove the battery on the Nuvi1370?

You would have to unscrew the cover - no matter, since it is broken and out of warranty, so it won't void the warranty.

Flip over the device, locate the retaining screws, use appropriate screwdriver, and eventually take the cover off.

The battery will be unmistakeable: a large square or oblong component, with two wires (or possibly with terminals, like a cell phone battery usually has.)

Unplug the connector at the end of the two wires coming from the battery.

(To re-connect and close up the Garmin, reverse those steps.)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No screws I can see!

Then the battery is not user-removable. Or perhaps the case of this model is hard to get open, in simple terms.

Are there round rubber pieces, rather small, the size of a screw's head?

If so, pry one of those out, and you will see a screw head under it.

If there are several, pry all the small round rubber pieces off, and the case screws will be under them.