Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

I have my garmin speaking a different language - german I

Customer Question

I have my garmin speaking a different language - german I think - how to I get it to use english
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That must be a very frustrating thing to happen, but I think I can help you with it. (I do comprehend German language some myself, so this is a hopeful situation.)

What model is the Garmin please? Was it originally speaking English?

Does the writing/text on the screen still read in English?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have used it before and it was always in english

OK. I am looking up how to switch language on it. I expect to post again with results within 10 or 15 minutes or so. Thank you for your patience meanwhile.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I gather this is not a free support service.

Admittedly not, payment is expected upon delivery of a good answer. If you wish to abandon the question, or cancel it, please let me know.

On the Garmin, from the home screen or main screen, tap on

Settings (which is a wrench icon and at the lower right corner of the screen.) In German, that's "Einstellungen".

Then tap on

Language (which is an icon that looks like lips, and is in the bottom center of the screen.) In Germans, that's "Sprache".

And change that to

(Aenglische or Englisch, in German.)

And approve that change.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated! (And if you need any further guidance through that process or around some difficulty in doing it, just Reply To Expert and I will continue to help you.) Thanks.