Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

I have 2 Garmin watches. An SG4 and an old S1. to see if

Customer Question

Hi, I have 2 Garmin watches. An SG4 and an old S1. I AM TRYING to see if there are updates for the S1 WATCH BUT AN ERROR MESSAGE keeps coming up. I leave in Ireland and I am travelling to Arizona for 7 rounds of golf in Sept. Can I use the S1 watch in Arizona, my son uses the SG 4 all the time so I cant have it, Any advise or is the model to old?
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I think I have it since 2009!
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: not a lot
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no thanks
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The Garmin Approach S1 is still usable, and is often used in the USA.

It's not too old, either - though a reasonable number have failed to operate since it was released, judging by the questions I have taken.

As for an update for the S1 model... I am looking that up for you. I will post again with results (if any) in several minutes.

The latest operating software update for the S1 was released in 2012.

(Did you mean, map updates?)

Here's the page for it:

Note that if you use Garmin Express software to apply the update, you will get whatever map updates there are, also, by using CourseUpdater too. See that page for further information.

Does this answer your question completely? Do you need further information on this ?