Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

I was going to update my Garmin, but got a message "An

Customer Question

I was going to update my Garmin, but got a message "An unexpected error has occurred and Garmin Express must close. If you continue to experience this, contact Garmin Customer Support."
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What computer is Garmin Express installed on, please? Windows PC, or Apple computer?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Go to

Control Panel,

then to Programs and Features

then find the Garmin Express program listed there. Click on its entry there, once. It should be highlighted now.

Then look for the Uninstall button, or perhaps the Uninstall link (depending on your Windows version.)

Click on Uninstall.

Uninstall Garmin Express (it's just a program on your computer, and easily reloaded. It holds no data of yours.)

Restart your computer after that.

Then when restarted, and logged in, re-install Garmin Express as follows:

Go to

and (if you have a Windows PC) click on the big blue Download button at center bottom of the page. (If you have an Apple, click on the nearby Download for Mac link.)

And download Garmin Express' installer to your computer, save it, then double-click upon it to install Garmin Express.
Then start the program, Garmin Express.

Does it work now?