Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have a new Garmin Montana 610 that is not discovered by my

Customer Question

I have a new Garmin Montana 610 that is not discovered by my computer. The computer discovers other devices on the same Garmin USB cord. I've reinstalled the drivers from Garmin. I've reinstalled Garmin communicator plugin. The computer makes the sound of a connection but the device never shows up on my computer.
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Montana 610, brand new
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Redownloaded updated drivers and communicator plugins from Garmin. no help
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

By the sound of it, you have done a lot of tries to get this one Montana 610 working with your computer.

Is your computer a Windows PC? if so some other things can be tried.

Does your computer have other USB ports? if so, have you tried the Montana, patiently and waiting 5 mnutes at least after connecting it, for it to be recognized?

If you have not tried all that, please do, at least once. USB ports are not all actually equal in operation... it can help to try a different USB port. Preferably one that is fairly distant from the other USB port it failed to work in previously.