Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

My GPS has given up the ghost. It shows just the logo. I

Customer Question

My GPS has given up the ghost. It shows just the logo. I cannot get it to tell me where to go
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Whats the name brand and model of your Garmin? Such as Nuvi 50 or Nuvi 2699 ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Before I send you the offer for a phone call, which will increase the cost of support.. I need to ask you a few questions to ensure I can help you.

Do you have a mac or a PC ? Also, how long ago did you purchase this garmin, your best estimate?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a pc and I purchased it over 3 years ago. I had to go out but I am back. If you can't help me for what I just paid then I guess it is forever broken
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I thought a call would be ok since the gps is in my car, but I am now, as you see, on my pc
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Again, I refused the phone call offer as I am attempting to help you at the lowest cost possible.

So lets try some manual repairs first. Please watch this video and try to reset your Garmin device as shown in this video.

If it resets, this should fix the issue.

If you cant get it to reset, or if the reset completes but the GPS still wont work.. Let me know!

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I cannot get it to do anything but show the logo and then only for a minute or two. Is it ready for the GPS graveyard?
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

M y apologies for the delay.. Ive just seen your message.

If you co uld find the model of your GPS, such as a garmin nuvi 1490 or garmin nuvi 55 , etc, etc..

Then I could help you try and force a firmware update, which should cure the problem.

Also, do you know if your GPS is ov er or under 1 year old?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it is a garvin nuvi 1390
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
as I said, it is over 3 years old
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Since you cannot help me and the gps is over 3 years old I am going to junk her.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Since I cant help you, here is the refund link

If you do purchase a new nuvi, I suggest one that has the LM or LMt option, so you get free lifetime map upgrades, such as this one.