Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

I have a 12 year old Raymarine C120 chartplotter with Radar

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old Raymarine C120 chartplotter with Radar and fishfinder. When I switched it on for first time this season, the display only shows a series of multi colored horizontal parallel lines. When I switched power on and off, it still displays same way. The electronics appear to be working, as the repeater on my VHF is accurately displaying Lat and Long. It seems like there's a bad signal or incomplete signal going to the screen, or (worst case) the LCD display is fried. What can you tell me?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think that you should try powering it On with nothing but the power hooked up to it, after giving it 10 minutes Off to cool down (or longer).

Then, see if, with nothing hooked up to it, it does or doesn't show the lines over the display.

- if it does, you have a defective Raymarine C120 display - the LCD or support circuitry or maybe video memory has a defect. After 12 years small wonder - that's a good lifetime for a device.

- if it doesn't... leave it On 10 minutes, long enough to heat up. Then if it still doesn't show lines, shut it Off briefly, and hook up one of the disconnected connections, and try it again On for 10 minutes... and so forth, until you either determine that one component is at fault or one hookup causes the problem, or else you determine... there's no real problem present, it was just temporary? well I hope it turns out that well. But go through that procedure, please.

Let me know how it turns out.

(And if this answers your question in full, please rate my answer - though I would like to see this case through to a good conclusion and am in no hurry with it.)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

It seems that its' either the LCD display or signal generator.

A new question: can I use all of my existing hardware (antenna, transducer, radar dome) if I upgrade to a Raymarine c127?

If the connection types (e.g. NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000) are the same, you can swap a different but similar display into its place. c-series Raymarine Classic displays are very generally interchangeable.

Do you want an opinion in detail about the specific c127 ?