Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

The hummingbird doesn't seem to have the right maps. Is

Customer Question

The hummingbird doesn't seem to have the right maps.
Is there Ipad s/w I can buy to get realtime navigation with all the detail from depth to docks and restaurants?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I'm not sure quite what sort of map files your Humminbird device would accept - since you have not mentioned its model #.

But, I think that Navionics provides what you are looking for:

http://www.navionics.com/en/news/iphone-and-ipad-apps-more-savings-content

and also look under the 'Mobile' rectangle at the top of that page.

(If this answers your question, please rate my answer, so that this case may be closed. If you need more information, just Reply To Expert and let me know. Thanks.)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I assume that all of the software from navionics is tracking navigation just like a car? So it shows exactly where you are in the water?I would like to have software which has pictures of the earth shown. The Platinum http://www.navionics.com/en/platinum-plus-1
seems to have the land pictures as well as all of the other features. I can't tell, will this software run on the Ipad?Will it be hard to use the Platinum be more complex to use than the more standard navionics packages?

That page seems to indicate that these Navionics maps are designed for Chartplotter or MFD devices, not iPad.

But, that page links to

http://www.navionics.com/en/mobile-pc-app-1

which (Navionics Boating) is indicated as an app for Android and iPad.

Whether that will 'show you your position', as opposed to allowing you to browse the Navionics maps, is a question. Chartplotter devices either have GPS function or are attached to a GPS device which tells the Chartplotter your position... but unless your iPad has GPS function AND that is linked into Navionics Boating to indicate position, is a point I'm not quite certain of. It *might* only be a map-browsing utility, so proceed with observant caution in purchasing, and Caveat Emptor.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I talked to you and one other person from JustAnswer. Neither of you seemed to know the answer. I ended up speaking to a support staff at West Marine and after 20 minutes of struggling with it himself, I finally found what I needed and bought it.
by the way, tracking gps is part of nearly all of these packages.
jim
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what is a fair way to rate these conversations.....I feel a little awkward because unless you are into boat navigation software it would be hard to get the right answer. But then that's why I used you guys:(

I'm sorry it didn't seem as good an experience as it should have been.

Did you settle on Navionics, or did you use something else?