Richard, Customer Service
Experience:  Avid repairer and trouble shooter of GPS devices and systems
32989067

I can only see GARMIN on the screen when I switch on, Its

Customer Question

I can only see GARMIN on the screen when I switch on
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Its old! 2009 ish Its Nuvi 1370
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: As recommended on your forum, kept on-off button down for 3-4 mins, no change, then tried re-setting, index finger on bottom right hand of screen, & switch on, same, just GARMIN, no other message
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you. Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished. This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please. Remove the charger from the garmin and hold the power button to off for 60 seconds. Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the unit. Let me know the results please Thank you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It switched on a couple of times, plugged in, displayed GARMIN, then went off, on, off on.....As previously
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Thanks

We will attempt to reset the device to rule out firmware as the issue

1. Start with the unit OFF and unplugged from power
  2. Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencil
  3. Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then power the unit ON
  4. Release the power button when the device powers ON
  5. You will see a new message: Do you really want to erase all user data?
  6. Remove your finger from the touchscreen when this message displays
  7. Touch Yes

Are you able to complete these steps?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry, I have already done this as I previously pointed out, I do not get the message Do you want to erase data.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Ok, I was just ensuring you did the procedure correctly.

It is the internal memory that has faulted, this now confirms it

A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to reinstall it.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do feel rather aggrieved that I have to pay when I had already tried your solution, & this was clearly explained in my request for assistance, I am not happy about this. Is there a complaints procedure?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

ok... not sure what you would like me to say? Your upset with me because I told you what the issue is?

What is actually the issue here? that I was thorough and wanted to confirm everything was done correctly first?

If this is your complaint you can send it in to***@******.*** though I would have to say it's a pretty unfair complaint

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The fact is your advice was exactly the same as given on the site 4 years ago, I tried it, & it didn't work, I 'advised' this in my initial request this was obviously ignored. I am paying for something that was already known
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

If you look at what your asking, you are actually asking me to make something up.... as I can only give you the correct answer and your complaining I did.

Sorry but I am not really sure how to respond to this, but you now have the issue confirmed, and I feel no benefit in discussing that your dissapointed I did not give a different answer when there is none available.

Thanks and all the best.