Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have a Garmin Nuvi 2597, 2 YEARS old, my device is showing

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I have a Garmin Nuvi 2597
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 2 YEARS old
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: my device is showing up a white screen on boot
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: and nothing is happening on it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & Welcome,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) WHEN was the last time the device was used SUCCESSFULLY?

2) Is there ANYTHING on the screen - besides white?

3) WHEN did this issue first begin?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Last use successfully was a month and a half ago..
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
On the screen apart from the white screen is a dot and message which says "Touch Dot". On touching the dot, nothing changes except the location of the dot on the screen..
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Issue began a month and a half ago..
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

OK - what I believe you have found is the "screen calibration" routine. This usually happens when the internal battery is allowed to get VERY LOW - so that the calibration data (stored in the device memory) is lost.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay.. But while the device was in my car the device always connected to the portable charger..
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

That could have been a loose connection or blown fuse in the tip of the charger, so you may want to check that and see what you find.

Also, to complete the calibration routine SUCCESSFULLY, do the following.

1) Make sure the device is FULLY charged - or at least charged up for AT LEAST an hour or so.

2) When the dot appear, try to CAREFULLY and PRECISELY touch the VERY CENTER of each dot.

NOTE: Speed is not important for this routine, but touching the exact center of each dot is.

So if you can, try to use a plastic tipped "stylus", or the erasure end of a pencil, to touch the exact center of each dot.

Also, the dots WILL MOVE around the screen, but if done correctly, after about 5-7 touches, the routine will "complete", and the device will (hopefully) go back to "normal" operation.

Please give that process a try and let me know your results.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Greg looks like it is working now.. I have been charged twice on my card without my authorization for the second charge of $26. I have only authorized a debit of $5. Please refund the rest of the money.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

I'm glad that worked for you. Please let me know if you have any more questions about your device.

If this has helped and answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

P.S. We experts are "users" of the site - just like you - and have no access to ANY of your account information - including any fees. This is for your privacy and protection.

But you should have a "my account" link on your side of the system - to access any of YOUR information.