Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have a marine handheld GPS 45 which has always worked

Customer Question

I have a marine handheld GPS 45 which has always worked fine. After an extended period of shutdown I put in fresh batteries but there is no screen when I attempt to turn the unit on. It appears that it is not getting any power. I've tried different batteries with no results. This is an old unit and I was wondering if it would make any since to send it in for repairs?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the brand and model of the GPS?
Customer: Garmin
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Holding down various button combinations.
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Great-nothing else
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you may be having with your device.

Just to CONFIRM, may I ask if this is the GPS shown in the following Amazon listings?

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPS-Personal-Marine-Navigator/dp/B00005QT35/

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's not THAT unit, but is the same as mine.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.

OK - very good.

As for the AGE of the device and "if it would make any since to send it in for repairs?" - This the device has been "discontinued" for some time, and repair is not longer available for this device - at least from Garmin.

If you like this particular model and want to get a "replacement" of the same exact model, about the only options available are the "used" market, on places like Amazon or eBay.

I don't usually like to recommend "used" devices, so if you do decide on this option, please be very careful about what vendor a device is purchased from AND their "return policy".

Also, if it was ME & I was counting on a device like this to "reliably" get me from place to place, I would choose a NEWER device, such as what you might see here --> Amazon search for handheld Marine Navigator.

Please let me know what you decide or if you have any more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I knew all this information. Looks like I just got a $26.00 lesson.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

You question was: "This is an old unit and I was wondering if it would make any since to send it in for repairs?"

Is that correct?

Did you have any other questions concerning this device?

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

May I ask if you have any other questions concerning this device?

If not and this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im).