Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

GPSmap 498 will not power up. Changed fuse. Can I get a

Customer Question

GPSmap 498 will not power up. Changed fuse. Can I get a drawing of plug pin arrangement to check power and ground. Unit has not been used in over a year but boat has been in garage and unit stored inside house. Thanks
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Just started as it is first time to pull out in a year. Previously some problems with unit turning off while offshore buy always attributed it to rough water
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Changing fuse. Cleaning pins
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No. Thank you
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If you use a common house-current wall plug on your Garmin device, then the round (third) prong is the Ground, the narrow straight plug is the Hot (AC voltage), and the broad straight plug is the Neutral (other side of the AC voltage but near to Ground level usually).

If the plug is of some other type, please tell me briefly (or post me a picture) of its shape, please. Thanks.