Richard, Customer Service
Experience:  Avid repairer and trouble shooter of GPS devices and systems
32989067

I've just bought a Garmin nuvi 2689 but I cannot download

Customer Question

I've just bought a Garmin nuvi 2689 but I cannot download the map updates. After 10 minutes my Mac just states that the device has been unplugged. Also, I don't know if the actual GPS device is only showing the Garmin logo when switched on. There is no menu or anything. Should it be like this or do I need to download the map updates first?
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: nuvi2689LMT. It's brand new out of the box but I don't know how long it's been in the shop for. We live in the Middle East so the supply chains can be lengthy!
JA: Huh?
Customer: It may have been in the shop a while.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: A full reinstall of Garmin Express and a soft reset of the device.
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No thanks.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Just seeing the Garmin logo is an issue and why it is not updating

This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.

Remove the charger from the Garmin and hold the power button to off for 60 seconds.

Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the unit and tell me if it gets past the Garmin screen.

Let me know the results please

Thank you