Jason Jones, Customer Service
Experience:  Several years experience with GPS technologies.
30759776

My garmin 2589 gps is frozen on the garmin screen. It won't

Customer Question

My garmin 2589 gps is frozen on the garmin screen. It won't turn off, and when I hold the power button it goes black for a second and goes right back to the garmin screen.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 5 months ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

This is a common issue with this GPS device. When you press the power button briefly, it is just putting the device to sleep and then waking up when you press it again. Please, press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds or until it completely shuts off. Once it is off, press and hold the power button for a couple seconds to turn it back on. Doing so, will clear the faulted software issue and start working again.

I look forward to hearing your feedback concerning whether or not your problem is fixed.

I hope to hear back that all is working. If this is so, please do not forget to rate my help on the top of this page (choose the number of stars and click the Submit button). If it is not, please respond below.

I will be standing by,
Jason

In the future, if you wish to work with me, ***** *****, you may ask your question at the following page. To keep them handy, you may wish to bookmark or favorite one of the pages that are listed below. To be sure that it is sent to me, preface the question with "For ***** ***** Only!".

Profile page:

http://JasonFixedit.com

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have tried repeatedly to hold the power button. After 10 seconds it goes black for one second, and then it goes right back to the garmin screen. It WILL NOT shut off. It also will not go to sleep. It will not respond at all. Also my laptop doesn't recognize it or know that it's plugged into it.

When you say that it goes to the "Garmin Screen", what exactly does that mean?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The screen when it first powers on that says garmin. It's just a blank black screen with the word garmin in the center.

Thank you for the clarification. The firmware on the device appears to be corrupt. Please, go to the following page and click the Download button to download the Garmin Express application: http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html

After you download and install the file, open Garmin Express, plug the gps device into the computer and choose to update the firmware. Doing so, will in effect, reinstall the operating system of the GPS device and get you back up and running.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have garmin express. It is open and the device is plugged into the laptop, which does not read it. I have tried all the usb ports on the laptop and asked the app to search again 3x.

Thank you for the update. May I start a secure remote assistance session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem? When the remote session begins, a chat window will appear that we can use to communicate with each other.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not paying an additional $25. The original $15 has gotten me nowhere.

If the device is not seen at all, the device may be faulted to the point where it cannot be recovered. Is the gps device still under warranty?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't want to waste either of our time any further. I appreciate your attempt to assist, but how do I get a refund of the $15, as this was not a success?

I will send up your refund request. Thank you kindly.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you