Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My device won't let me look up an address. The icon is not

Customer Question

Hi there, My device won't let me look up an address. The icon for this is not coloured thus pressing it does nothing. I bought this in Feb 2014 and expected it to last longer than 2 years.
Thank you Dennis Ryan
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Hello Dennis, Whats the name brand and model of the device in question? Is it a Garmin, Magellan, etc?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry I dont know there is nothing on the unit to identify it.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Is it a GPS?

If so, if you look on the back or bottom of it, it should have a model identifier tag

See if you can find anything on the device that mentions a model name or number.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sorry not paying for phone call
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

I didnt ask you to pay for a phone call.

I asked you to look at the device itself, on the back or bottom.. It has to have a sticker, or a model tag.. Something that identifies it.

If we cant find at least the name brand of the device.. Its going to be near impossible for me to help you.

If you shut down the device and turn it on, does it say garmin, magellan, tomtom , etc?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it is a tomtom
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Thank you.. Thats a start..

We need to do one, possibly two main steps. First things first, slide and hold the tomtom power button for 1 minute.. You should hear the drumroll a few times. Then release.. This will reset the t omtom.

Then, test it.. if its working, good! If not, then we need to use your pc or mac and download either the tomtom home program, or the tomtom my drive program. ( I dont know which one to use, since you dont know the model of tomtom you have )

So start with this one.. Download it, install it, then connect your tomtom to the computer and run the tomtom home program on your computer.

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5122/locale/en_US

Once installed, run tomtom home and allow it to update your tomtom. ( it has to be connected to your computer by a usb cord and turned on )

If tomtom home cant see your device, t hen you must have one of the devices that works with My drive instead. You can download that program here.

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13843/~/how-do-i-download-and-install-my-map%3F-%28mydrive%29

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK still no good but thanks I will just buy a new one
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

If you havent tried to update it yet, using your pc.. Id suggest doing that.. As that could definitely save you from buying a new device.

With that being said, you may want to consider switching to a Garmin, you can find one with australian maps at a reasonable price through amazon.

http://amzn.to/28URA5q

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Dustin see you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I presume I havent been charged.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

This link will be of interest to you.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0

At the same time.. Ive provided you the correct information to repair your Tomtom, and helped you figure out the name brand of your model which is a critical step in trying to repair the device.

If you havent tried the steps I suggested to update and repair the device, t hen you dont know if your asking for a refund for a service & solution that I already provided. Also, considering we dont work hourly but rather per session, Id hope youd at least try the advice I gave you before you cancel our session.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tried the download etc when I first noticed the problem so I had already tried what you suggested