Carl L
Carl L, Master Technician
Experience:  Current Electronics Shop Owner and Master Technician in FL.

When I attempt to enter a destination in my Garmin GPS 695,

Customer Question

When I attempt to enter a destination in my Garmin GPS 695, at the third letter entry, the Garmin freezes and then turns off. This just started AFTER I updated the device. Once it turns it self off, it won't turn back on. Then, when I next apply power to it, it will then reactivate but the same problem persists.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Carl L replied 3 months ago.

Hi Lionel, I'm Carl and welcome to Just Answer. At my Repair Store we've seen this and a lot of other issues happen after an update. Garmin doesn't notify the consumer that a full manual backup should be done before performing any type of update just incase it doesn't take well. You'll have to reset the Garmin back to factory settings so the main system files can be reconfigured. On a good day this is all you should have to do. If that doesn't work, you'll need the original software and firmware files in order to restore the Garmin back to a stable condition. Sometimes Garmin will provide this to you but most times they will try to get you to send it in or to buy an upgraded model.

If you need any clarification or additional help, please feel free to ask me.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did not previously get this screen to reply. It appears you have charged me twice for the same question and I object to being charged twice! You told me that I have to reset my GPS. You might just as well have told me to go screw myself. I don't know how to do either! Are you going to charge me more to tell me how to "reset" the device?
Expert:  Carl L replied 3 months ago.

Lionel, I'm not allowed to discuss billing but Customer service is really awesome and can clear any discrepancies like that for you. Here's the link for that:

If you would like to wait on that to be cleared up then provide you with the reset instruction (at no additional charge), that is ok with me.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Please, just tell me how to reset the device (if that's a possible solution). I already tried resetting it as defined in
the manual (far left soft key, far right soft key and range key) and that did nothing.
Expert:  Carl L replied 3 months ago.

The reset procedure should be done in this order:

1. Turn off the Garmin

2. Press and hold Soft Left, Soft Right, and CLR.

3. While still holding the 3 buttons, press the Power Button then let go over the Power Button but still maintain holding the other 3 buttons.

4. Continue doing this for about 20 seconds. The unit will Hard Reset at this point and restore the system files.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK, I did that and the device is still malfunctioning. My option now is . . . ?
Expert:  Carl L replied 3 months ago.

A reset restores a mirror backup if its not missing any important system files. Have you made any backups using Basecamp in the past?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No. I have no idea how to backup anything. What would I be backing up?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Carl L replied 3 months ago.

Basecamp is a software used to do a lot of things for Garmin Devices including making backups then restoring those backups. More info on that here:

Without a backup and with the internal backup files missing or corrupted, there's not much left for a tech or consumer to do besides replacing the Main Board that contains that required internal memory files. Garmin can reinstall those files but they require that you send it into them as that procedure is confidential.