Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

My Gain 78sc just stopped working! No accident, drop or dunk

Customer Question

My Gain 78sc just stopped working! No accident, drop or dunk in water. Batteries good, set was working perfectly
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: garmin 78sc was working 2 days ago
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 2 yrs old model 78sc handheld marine gps.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Examined body interior looks perfect: touch pads and touch reception pads perfect
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Thanks hope you can help
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GPS
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is a garmin 78sc handheld gps ...darn auto correct for "gain"
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) What has "stopped working" on the device? For example, does it not switch ON at all, hangs on a screen, etc.?

2) How were the batteries TESTED - to know that they are "good"?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will not turn on or perform any function. Tested batteries on my battery tester, also replaced them etc
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

OK - I see you mentioned the "internal touch pads" ...

Does that mean the battery contacts, or something else?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
garmin 78sc has several function buttons. They when pressed, make contact with receptor points or pads on the device body, executing the function... I can see you are unfamiliar with this type of gps....
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

In familiar with these units, but NOT the "terms" you mentioned - when referring to the "internal touch pads".

Internal says to me "inside" - such as inside the battery cover.

So I suspect (now) that was incorrect.

Clear communication is KEY - and that is why I ask these questions.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

So can you now tell me if the BATTERY CONTACTS were CLEANED at any point - in the last 2 days?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

Did we get disconnected?

I only ask because I did NOT see a response from my last question, plus I have another question for you:

- Does the device have a microSD card installed and if so, have you removed it and tried powering up again?

I have more things we can try - depending on your responses.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry G. Have been driving will try without micro card. Keep suggestions coming
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

No worries ... just don't try any of these things DURING driving (don't want you to get distracted).

If no different results after removing SD card, I have a RESET procedure you can try - at least as far as trying to the the unit to at least power ON. If you DO see the screen come on, you MAY be able to get the device operating properly by selecting the NO item - during the reset. That way you will NOT erase any of your user data that may still be there.

Click for Video -->

Other suggestions mainly have to do with using alternate power sources - such as USB cable and power adapter OR the 4-pin power plug - connected to a 12 volt power supply (if you have that cable & plug).

Let me know what you find - in detail - as you try this different things.

Take Care, Greg A.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Many thanks G. No results with special micro card (ocean charts) either in or out... Just no sign of life from the screen ... So recently working well, conditions unchanged.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

OK - "Reset" process is next to try, then the alternate power sources (if available).

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-