Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Boat not showing our location on screen. It's wrong

Customer Question

Category: GPS
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Satalite doesn't seem to be communicating with boat. Boat on screen has a question mark on it.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

To start with, I need to know the name brand and model of your GPS device. That way I can determine whether or not I will be able to help you, before we consider phone or remote support.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Give me 10 minutes
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Allright, take your time.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do i find that
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's a garmin
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Software 6.60Unit I'd(###) ###-####
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Do you see any tag on the machine where it says something like GPSMAP 5265cx or anything else with model on it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Supplemental map hxuso39r_us. Coast g2 v2013 v 14.50
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Are you looking on the machines display?

To find the model, it would be better to look on the back or bottom of the unit.. On the sticker or tag affixed to the outside of the unit.

D.S

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's a dashboard unit
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Gsd22
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry, I'm a women. Doing the best I can. And we are on the boat
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Gsd v3.20
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Understood, and no need for apologies.. The GSD 22 is this device

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-water/discontinued/gsd-22-digital-remote-sounder/prod288.html

You probably also have a head unit or sounder similar to this

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-water/discontinued/gpsmap-5208/prod9157.html

To start with, turn your head unit off. Then, while its off.. For the GSD22.. Disconnect one at a time, all cables.

Then reconnect them. ( including the cable going from the GSD22 to your head unit )

Then, once thats done.. Turn the head u nit back on.. Then, does the head unit still show the question mark?

If so, I need you to focus on the head unit, the one with the display. And find the model number of it so I can help you specifically with the head unit..

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok we will disconnect once at marina. I sent model number
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Gsd v3.20 may be 15 minutes
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

The model number you sent was for the digital remote sounder, the Gsd 22.. I did send a picture to show you.

Thats not the head unit ( the device with the display / touchscreen ) When you get to the marina I will need the model of the head unit ( with the display on it )

Thank you,

Dustin S

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok we unhooked all wires still have question mark. Can't find a model number. Gerrrrrr attached pic
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Ahh.. Your head unit is mounted flush into the boat. Thats why you cant find the model number.

What I can say for certain is the unit needs to be removed, and connected to a pc and updated.. And then reset. And then reinstalled into the boat.

If you tell me your zip code I can suggest a local repair center ( u nless you are comfortable removing the head unit from the boat yourself )

Dustin S

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It worked this am. Without updates
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
since you didn't fix our problem does that mean we won't get charged
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Devices fail , and sometimes devices need to be reset, and updated..

Since youve asked for a refund though, Ill stop here.. Here is the refund link as requested.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0