Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

My Garmin Nuvi3590LM won't stay on when its connected to the

Customer Question

My Garmin Nuvi3590LM won't stay on when its connected to the port? Stays on when not connected but as soon as I put it in its port it goes off?
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: nuvi3590LM 3-4 years old?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Have not I don't know how:)
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page where you can book your 1:1 with the GPS Technician. I'll share everything we've discussed.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) What "port" are you connecting to? Would that be the USB port, or are you connecting to the "cradle" of the vehicle mount?

2) WHEN did this issue first begin?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Cradle
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - WHEN did this issue first begin - or was noticed?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Recently
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

OK - has ANYTHING CHANGED with that cradle OR the power cable that connects to the cradle?

Also, MOST Garmin Power cables have a fuse in the tip of the adapter (where it plugs into the power socket) ... have you checked that fuse yet OR verified that there is power coming from the socket where it is connected?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Power is evident in cigarette lighter. Harmon turns on when not in the cradle, but as soon as it is docked it powers off and will not turn on in cradle
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

OK - has ANYTHING CHANGED with that cradle OR the power cable that connects to the cradle - about the same time this started to happen?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just put it in cradle that was not connected and it stays on, must be a short with cable you think?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

That could be a short (or open) in the cable - OR - a short in the cradle itself - which does not appear when NOT connected to the power cable.

Do you have another Garmin cable you can try?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

OR do you have another cradle that can be used?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Is that "No" to the cable, or cradle, or both?

And HOW is "Power is evident in cigarette lighter"?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No to both! Red light on
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

OK - WHERE did you disconnect the power cable (cradle end or power socket end)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Both
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

AND does there APPEAR to be ANY damage or TWISTING of the cable at all?

And do you have the SAME symptoms (device stays ON) when BOTH ends of the cable are disconnected?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

That is: Disconnected ONE AT A TIME..

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Stays on in cradle! Goes off when cable connects
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

I understand that the unit STAYS on when the cable is disconnected.

Is that true IF the cable IS connected to the cradle, but NOT connected to the power socket?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Stays on when it's not plugged into lighter
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Interesting ... that sounds like this MAY be an issue with the cradle itself, and perhaps NOT the cable.

So let me ask if you have CLOSE EXAMINED the "contacts" of the cradle AND the device (perhaps with a bright light and magnifying glass) and if so, can you see ANY "bent pins" or any other "unusual" items there?

Also, have you removed the power cable from the cradle end, and looked that that connector too (bent pins, etc.)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
checked all that / sooty but I've got to disconnect now:(
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

I have another TEST - that you MAY be able to do IF you have a USB-based power adapter and USB cord - such as what you might have for some Tablets or cell phones.

That TEST is to connect the USB cord to the CRADLE (not to the power adapter yet), and verify that the device STAYS ON.

Then remove the device, connect the USB cord to the power adapter (plugged in), and then put the device back in the cradle.

If the device STAYS on, and even takes a charge, we will KNOW that the original power cable is the issue.

BUT, of the device still turns OFF, then we will KNOW that it is the cradle itself that is the issue.

Does that make sense?

If so, do you have such a USB-based power adapter available to you - to do this TEST?

If you have to disconnect from our conversation - just come back when you can - so we can continue.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks driving I'll try that
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Very good.

Please try that when you are NOT driving.

Take Care & Be Safe Out There, Greg A.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)