Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

I attempted to update my Garmin but keep getting an error

Customer Question

I attempted to update my Garmin but keep getting an error message. Now my Garmin says no map data available
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Nuvi 50lm
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: 3-4 years old
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I didn't know what to try
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What is the error message that preceded the 'no map available' message, please? Reply to let me know.

And, also: How did you attempt to upgrade the Garmin device?