GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience supporting electronics of all kinds

My Garmin nuvi 1690 is frozen after I updated the map

Customer Question

My Garmin nuvi 1690 is frozen after I updated the map yesterday
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Nuvi 1690 and about 5 years
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have turned on and off a few times
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GPS
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is*****'m sorry that you are having this problem. it would be my pleasure to assist you with this. Can you tell me please if you are seeing any error messages on the screen when you try to turn it on? For instance Loader loading? Did you see a message after the map update indicating that it was successful?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The nuvi starts up but does not get beyond the Garmin logo.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The Garmin Express software stated that the update was complete and that I could disconnect the nuvi, which I did. I then turned it off and left it until today (I updated it yesterday) and when I returned it to the car and turned it on, it only displays the Garmin logo and never gets beyond that.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for that information.If you connect the Nuvi 1690 to your computer via usb, does your computer recognize the device? Do you have a backup of your Nuvi data?

A master rest of the device will fix many problems such as failure to boot.

Note: A master reset will erase all favorites and will restore your device to the default factory settings.

To perform a master reset:

1. Start with the device OFF and unplugged from power
  2. Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencil
  3. Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then power the device ON
  4. Release the power button when the device powers ON
  5. You will see a new message: "Do you really want to erase all user data?"
  6. Remove your finger from the touch screen when this message displays
  7. Touch Yes

The device will now reset. Follow the on-screen prompts and then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Please let me know how this works for you. If you need clarification on any of the steps or have additional questions I am happy to assist. I am committed to working with you until the problem is fully resolved.

When your problem has been resolved, please kindly take a moment to rate my service. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a rating of at least 3 stars. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Please remember, don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
To answer your queries in order:1. When I connect the nuvi to my computer it does NOT recognise it as being connected.
2. Yes, I do have a back-up from the update that I performed yesterday.
3. I tried your method three times and the nuvi still does not get beyond the opening Garmin logo display.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

I am terribly sorry but if the nuvi is recognized by your computer and will not reset, I am out of ideas.