Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

I live in the middle east, Doha, Qatar. my Garmin GPS since

Customer Question

i live in the middle east, Doha, Qatar. my Garmin GPS since 2012. it says need to upgrade the map for middle east. how do i update. please help. i connected to the computer and search for upgrades... what to do please. thanks.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the device you are working with? If you can't find the model, please look for the Serial Number and send that back (usually right next to a bar code or QR code).

2) Has the device EVER been update (successfully) before?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, Greg. Sorry for my overdue to reply. I would be on line today by 3pm(Qatar Time), don't know what State you where, but it would be. I hope I could see on line. its unfortunate, that I lost my connection.My GPS model is GARMIN 2455. SN number 2JE J008666, Registered date.11 Nov. 2016. It is functioning perfect, only it flashed every month, that I have to update my MIDDLE EAST MAP. other than that, its running good.So, I go online, last week to upgrade it. I paid online 34usd. credited. Further to this, when I paid already, it require me to pay monthly, which I am not interested. I lost somewhere there, as the screen doesn't change.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

First, there should be no monthly charges - either from this site or any Garmin based site for maps, so if you see any such offers (with monthly charges), you can decline those offers.

Next, it MAY be that your device was NOT "registered" or identified with the Garmin site, OR you landed on a different site altogether.

So if you want to update the maps, I would suggest that you get the CURRENT Garmin program that does the updates installed on your computer (its called Garmin Express), run that program, and then connect your device via the USB cable - to see what is offered. I have the link to where you can get that program below. There is even a video showing how to use the program and when to connect the device.

If you had registered the device with Garmin (when purchased), that program SHOULD recognize that the device is registered, and be able to offer any map updates available.

Please try to get that program on to your computer, run it, and then connect the device to the computer when the program asks to do that.

Then let me know what you see what you do that.

Thanks, ***** *****

P.S. As for time zone, I'm in the Pacific Time Zone (West Coast of USA).