Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

New Hero4 is giving me! Downloaded map trip I'm on. Very

Customer Question

New Hero4 is giving me hell! Downloaded map for riviera trip I'm on. Very long laborious process. Now still not appearing. Followed all long form directions hotrible
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think that, if you got your directions from the right source, and have followed those directions accurately and scrupulously as to details, then you probably have only one problem (or perhaps two) left to consider and deal with:

1. perhaps your device has a problem? I hope not.

or

2. perhaps you got the wrong map from the wrong source? that's easy to look into first. So, where (from what online site or source) did you download the map for the Riviera area in France ?

And, what map exactly was it? map type, or file type, is important, and is what I am asking about here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Yes I followed the instruction meticulously and downloaded/ uploaded as Garmin recommends: from their own $99 city navigator Europe NT to garmin express and then to the device. It didn't take so I tried again. Like 3 hour transfer to the device. Total crap UX and glitchy/buggy
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK. I see the situation more clearly now.

I suggest that perhaps the connection between the computer and the Garmin device, might be imperfect.

Try a different USB port first of all, for the connection. USB ports ought to be all alike, but in practice they sometimes are quite different. When trying a different USB port, choose one as far from the first one as possible - it may be on different circuitry altogether, that way.

After that, try a different USB cable. A flaky or loose connection in even one 'Data' wire of the 4 wires in a USB cable, could cause the annoyingly slow connection you described... and could corrupt the data transfered also, making it unusable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'm lights out now. We'll see in the morning. Big corporate group ride I need to get this thing working for. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well after a number of 3 hour upload attempts it appears that the garmin "express" app lost the $100 euro map download. But it's now not finding it. BUT, now I finally got warning that it's bc device doesn't have the space. Where the hell is the MF delete?!
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I think that it got onto the device.

Use the device as if it were a disk drive... use Computer to enter that 'disk drive'. Locate the offending, corrupted file, and select it there. Then delete it.

(If that's all possible.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It needs to delete prebuilt crap us maps to upload euro map. I've read up. How do i delete maps?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

What device do you have exactly?

a 'Hero4' ? that's a camera.

Is it a Garmin device? or what? please clarify. Thanks.

As for the GoPro Hero4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuMonKRayT0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No man. Garmin edge 1000. But yeah my hero4 not uploading vids. ClusterF. Sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now, I need to delete edge 1000 maps to install euro one bc new garmin says not enough space to load
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

If your Garmin Edge is connected to a computer - with Windows (or not, but the same as this by different methods...) - then, use the computer's interface

(on a Windows computer, that's the

window, or the

Start - Computer

function)

to go into the Garmin Edge and delete maps that way. ?

Otherwise, cumbersome methods using the Edge interface, I guess. Let me find them...

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Actually, using the computer's interface to remove the map files is apparently quite usual for managing a Garmin device that needs new space for maps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah that would make sense but doesn't exist in express. Horrible. Gotta go to aplocations and pull a bunch of bs. Woulda found if searched right
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Ahem.

Please read what I said. Here it is again. You do not have to 'go to applications':

(on a Windows computer, that's the

window, or the

Start - Computer

function)

to go into the Garmin Edge and delete maps that way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a Mac
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

The Garmin device, once connected by a cable, should be a device with an icon in the

Desktop of the Mac.

Double-click on that icon to open it. There you are: access to all the files on the Garmin device.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found it. So dumb that this isn't in "express" nor in any manual. And wtf with whole map uploads/delete?! But STILL maps not on the list
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

The maps for US may be in a sub-folder. Click to open the folder, examine files listed in it, etc., I suggest.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep, did that. Coded weirdly. Not sure if deleting right one. Crap UX. Crap crap crap. Deleted a huge (I think) map that should've opened enough room. Nope. Sucks
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Look at file sizes. Map files will be quite LARGE. They contain a lot of data.

Don't delete EXE files, nor INI files, nor CFG files. They're needed.