Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

My 1390 is not connecting to my PC(at the top of Garmin

Customer Question

Hi, my 1390 is not connecting to my PC(at the top of Garmin Express it says "not connected" even though it is liked with the USB cable and the device showed a little image of it being connected. I want to update my maps. Please advise Nigel Mills
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Nuvi 1390 serial 1NE247476 about 4 years old.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None, do not know how to do it!
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or a Mac.

If its a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows, Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
windows 7
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Thank you, lets try a reset on the nuvi first.

Heres how

Once complete, restart the nuvi and computer and see if garmin express can detect your nuvi. If it cant, then the device may be misregistered in the Device manager.. So keep me posted on what happens.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It looks like this erases all maps. Do I want to do this?!!!
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

it doesnt erase any of the maps.. It would only erase addresses you saved, favorites, stuff like that. After the reset the device would function just like it did when you turned it on for the first time, maps included.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I am sorry I do not want to lose all my saved addresses etc. I have many of them. Is there no alternative
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

I could try connecting to your computer and see if I can repair the usb connection and get the computer to recognize the device.. Would you like to try that instead?

Dustin S

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No thanks, ***** ***** the £25 I have just paid Paypal which I was told was fully refundable. Thank you for trying
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Repairing the device and / or your computer is going to cost quite a bit more elsewhere.

However, here is the link you requested.