Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I was in the process of downloading garmin dezl 2016 map

Customer Question

I was in the process of downloading garmin dezl 2016 map updates and noticed that on my laptop that the downloading files had stopped at 1 HR 13 min to finish also noticed my garmin was black screen with no icon so I pressed the power button and the laptop said I was disconnected so I pressed the power button again and reconnected and the icon on my garmin was back but still no progress on the downloading files
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Dezl 560. 2013 was when I bought it
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Other than pressing the power button off and on. Around 1 min if not less that's it
JA: The GPS expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Just a little scared that I might have damaged it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GPS Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) Was/Is the laptop connected to AC power (the power adapter/charger)?

2) Were/Are there ANY "power saving" modes enabled - on the laptop?

3) What was the state of the charge - of the internal battery of the device BEFORE you started the update?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1 yes 2 no. It's plugged in with the USB cable in the laptop
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Call me (###) ###-####
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

I see your call request, but don't have an available phone line right now to be able to do a call.

About the battery charge:

What was/is the condition of the DEVICE BATTERY - once it is charged up? That is, does it last a good long time?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No its generally always plugged in i drive an 18 wheeler and it has to be
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

OK - very good. So I will "assume" the battery is in good shape, and can run the device long enough for a "normal" download.

So let's see if we can figure out WHY the download stalled.

May I ask what type if internet connection the laptop has (Ethernet cable or WiFi)?

And do you know the SPEED (bandwidth) of the internet connection?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I don't think the battery is in good shape if unplugged on the Garmin about a minute it's always plugged in never unplugged. WiFi. Century link. Have no idea of the bandwidth
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

OK - does the laptop HAVE an Ethernet cable connector, or is it WiFi only?

I only ask because WiFi is MUCH more prone to errors during downloads, and we want to use WIRED Ethernet - if at all possible.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Note: If you want to TEST your bandwidth (connection speed), you can use the following link - in most cases.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I understand but this is not my first map update I've never used a ether net cable to do this. It was downloading and it stopped in think it somehow I accidentally shut it off by leaning it so I could monitor the Garmin screen stopping the downloading process. Can I restart somehow without destroying it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
20 bandwidth
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

I understand. BUT, WiFi can have failures or "glitches" at ANY TIME, along with ANY component between you and the servers (computer) that hold the update data the computer is trying to download.

I have attached a screen shot of what I have for internet speed.

As for the device turning OFF, that is a concern, and WHY I asked about any "power saving" modes on the laptop. This is because SOME laptops will actually turn OFF the USB ports - to save power - when the computer has not been "touched" for a while.

So may I ask HOW LONG the update WAS running - approximately - when it got stuck?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
About half hour i have done this before the same way I just don't keep notes on what to expect from the previous years
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

I understand - that you have done this before.

But when it comes to the internet and doing these types of downloads - ANYTHING can happen - to disrupt the process.

So right now my two main concerns are:

1) WHY did the download stall and

2) WHY did the screen of the device "go dark".

Does that make sense?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

So let me ask about the USB cable - used to connect the device to the computer.

Is that the SAME cable that you have used in the past?

Also, when you connected it this time, did ANYTHING feel "loose" at all - on either end of the cable?

AND can you tell me what PROGRAM you are using to do the update?

Would that happen to be the latest version of Garmin Express?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i believe that somehow that the garmin dezl power button got pushed i leaned it so i could monitor the conect icon and that shut down the downloading progress on the laptop using garmin express
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Cable same not loose it's only used 1 time a year for updates
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

OK - that is of course a possibility - that the device was switched off accidentally (or intentionally) - which is generally NOT a "good thing" to do when doing ANY updates of a device.

So what I would recommend at this point is disconnecting the device from the USB cable, and TRY to power it up via the power button.

PUSH and HOLD the power button until the screen comes on - usually 10-20 seconds or so.

If that does not work, can you take the device to the vehicle and connect it to power there - and see if it powers up that way?

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

NOTE: If you have NOT disconnected yet, try to STOP the update program FIRST - if you can.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But I haven't completed the 2016 map update yet
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

I understand.

But if the device is OFF, that will not complete anyway - does that make sense?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It must have been off I'd say about 10 minutes before I realized what was happening. I have shut down the downloading from the laptop by clicking the X
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the connect icon is still showing on the Garmin. You should know thexactly email was 3 half hrs to complete
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Basically what I am going to RECOMMEND is that you:

1) Stop the program - on the computer.

2) "Eject" the device from the computer - if it still shows as connection.

3) Physically removed the device from the computer (USB cable).

4) TEST if the device will still power up.

5) Shutdown and reboot computer.

6) Reconnect the device (assuming it DOES power up) - and TEST if the device is "seen" by the computer.

7) Restart Garmin Express and restart the update - making sure that NOTHING else is running on the computer - especially things that use a LOT of bandwidth (videos, music, etc.).

NOTE: When you see the TIME for the update, please know that is an ESTIMATE, and it DOES CHANGE - both UP and DOWN - as the download progresses.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Call me
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

I still do not have a phone line available, and do not expect one to be available for the rest of the evening.

I can try to see if another GPS expert is available, but most I know of don't work this late into the night.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is why I'm using your service I don't want to have to wait til customer service opens and the 3 half hrs to upload it need it b4 I return to workT
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't feel you have helped me what so ever I will contact PayPal and contest
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

I have sent a note to another expert I know - hoping they will respond.

Would you like to try the process I laid out above?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Another option is to TEST the device - once disconnected - and see if the maps you had before are still in there and work.

If so, you could "postpone" the update until such a time as you don't have to go to work and use the device in the next 4 hours.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But that's what I'm paying you for.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

I don't understand.

What is it - EXACTLY - that you are looking for me to do?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Tell me how to restart the downloading process. For my maps update it says on your Web page you can help with my original question
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My laptop is restarting with up dates
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

OK - I posted that process above. Let me post it again below.

==============================

What I am going to RECOMMEND is that you:

1) Stop the program - on the computer.

5) Shutdown and reboot computer.

==============================

Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Let me send you a link to an article - before I have to sign off for the evening. It is kind of "technical" but may help.

http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/simpleCase.htm?caseId={fbcb20d0-21b8-11e4-eaba-000000000000}

I will check on your progress when I get back on in the morning.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Call this time I hate using this method to get my answer to slow and can't convey the details of the problem clearly
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again - I'm back to see if you got a chance to try my recommendations, and if so, what were the results?

That is: Did the device TEST to still be working when removed from the computer AND was the restarted download & update successful?

Thanks

(im)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it did and checking with customer service all is well with my Garmin. Was I charged twice 34 dollars because I'm contesting that with pay pal
Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Very good - I'm glad you got the device working again!

Customer service HERE (on this site) should be able to help you with being charged 2 times, but from what I can tell from my side, it looks like your question was ASKED (posted) 2 times - and that could be the reason.

To get to customer service here (on this site), you should have a "My Account" link you can use, and then a Contact Us (or help) link on most of your account pages.

Please let me know if you have any more questions - about your device.

And if my advice has helped restore proper operation and has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)